Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Worst Part

Recently I said my four favorite words are "pitchers and catchers report". I said this for many reasons, not the least of which is I'm a baseball nut. However, the start of baseball season signifies many things. The end of Winter and the beginning of Spring. The imminent arrival of Summer. Grass goes from various uninspiring shades of brown to lush green. The sun shines a bit brighter. Birds sing (and crap all over my car). Yellow pollen covers everything in Georgia in a thick blanket that doesn't wash away when it rains only streaks and smears into an odd sickly green color. The best of times.
If someone has favorite words it stands to reason they have their least favorite as well. Mine are ones I am saddened to admit I have said way too often in my life: "I could have done better". Is there any feeling in the world than knowing that we could have done something better? Loved someone better? Shown appreciation better? Served better? Played better?
There is only one thing we have control of in this world and that is how we act. How much effort we put into something whether it is a job, a relationship, or hobby. People talk about Hell and how horrible it will be. For me, the ultimate Hell would be to spend forever knowing I could have done better. I don't want to "go to Hell". I don't want to spend eternity mentally torturing myself for not giving life my all. That is something I can control. Something we all can. The only question is do we want to put the effort in? Is it worth it to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment